EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 2013-2015 NORTH CAROLINA STATE BUDGET
The state budget for 2013-2015 was passed into law in July 2013 and has implications for every aspect of family and community life in North Carolina. We at Together NC wanted to give you some helpful tools for understanding and discussing the impact of the budget. Below you will find links to articles, briefs and reports regarding the newest North Carolina budget and its potential impact. This page will continue to be updated as new materials are developed.
1. REPORTS AND FACT SHEETS
- Together NC’s fact sheet on K-12 Budget: Every child deserves a quality education: 2013-2015 budget doesn’t meet the mark
- Together NC’s fact sheet on higher education: Higher education critical for state’s economic future; yet lawmakers fail to make needed investments
- Together NC’s fact sheet: Top five ways legislators’ choices fail to support the economy
- Budget & Tax Center Report – The 2013-2015 Fiscal Year Final Budget: Putting North Carolina on a Path to Mediocrity
- Budget & Tax Center Fact Sheet – New State Budget Puts North Carolina on a Path to Mediocrity
- Budget & Tax Center Fact Sheet – State Budget Leaves Rural Areas and Communities of Color Behind
- Budget & Tax Center Fact Sheet – New Budget and Conservative State Policies are Falling Hard on Women
2. BUDGET CUT CASUALTIES IN THE PRESS
- NC Policy Watch – Tracking the Cuts: The Dismantling of Our Public Schools
- The Huffington Post – Why North Carolina Resident Matthew Brown is Happy His Wife is Quitting Teaching
- NC Policy Watch – Is North Carolina a net exporter of teachers?
- Technician Online – Budget-cut related layoffs begin
- WECT 6 New Hanover County – Budget cuts could cost several bus routes
- News & Observer – NC budget cuts reduce assistance for addicts
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education – NC Governor seeks to retool Community College funding
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal – Budget cuts force layoff at local NC biotechnology division
- News & Observer – Education budget doesn’t reflect NC values
- Asheville Citizen Times – Do you know the budget’s impact?
- Black Mountain News – On the winners and losers in the NC budget
- Wilmington Star News – Dissatisfied NC teachers leave for other states, other jobs
- The Daily Tar Heel – More professors lured away from UNC
- Fayetteville Observer – State budget cuts threaten future of biofuels research in North Carolina
- CBS local Charlotte – NC legislators extend school bus lives for savings
- The Business Journal Greensboro – NC Biotech Center slashing programs due to budget cuts
- Winston-Salem Journal – NC Biotech cuts 7 jobs, expects more, in response to losing $4.6M in funding
- WFMY News Triad – Board of Education finalizes Guilford County Schools’ budget
- News & Observer – Funding cuts to drug treatment centers mean addicts get turned away
- The Daily Tarheel – Another year of budget cuts piles up for UNC system
- Winston-Salem Journal – UNCG, NC A&T facing layoffs due to budget cuts
- Public News Service – NC Budget puts North Carolina on path to mediocrity
- Chart: 3 “Pillars” of State Revenue in NC
- Infographic: New K-12 budget is not enough to keep up: Schools feel the squeeze, students will lose
- Infographic: Spending Cuts Hurt the Classroom
4. TAKE ACTION
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Email Amber at email@example.com to share a story about why public investment matters to you or about how budget cuts are impacting you, your family and your community.
- Share Together NC’s content on Facebook and Twitter.